Life is all about difficult decisions and making mistakes. Both of which I have done my fair share of but I think the time in my life where I made the most mistakes was with deciding what I wanted to do with my life.
In hindsight I should have listened to my Mum. She knows me better than most people and she kept saying you know, are you sure? Is this what you really want? Will you be able to cope? But in typical teenager fashion I couldn’t care less what she had to say!
I am sad to say this even though I didn’t realise it at the time I was a sheep following the crowd. I was applying cause everyone else was and never considered the alternatives and wasn’t really aware of any! I don’t think I really put much thought into any of it. I just applied to do Publishing cause that was the only thing I could think of. I am proud of the fact that I got 4/5 offers to go to Uni, something I never thought would have happened. Then things went downhill. College finished, the summer holidays came and went and then it was results day.
Waking up on results day felt surreal , my whole life depended on this day. When I looked at my results I hadn’t achieved enough to go to any of the Uni’s, Did I find myself crying? No. Did the world crumble around me? No. I was relieved! I think it finally hit me that I didn’t want this when I was told by career advisers to choose a clearing option and I wasn’t having any of it!
Thankfully. I had applied for some apprenticeships and jobs as a back up plan. I went to an interview the next day and got the job!!! FATE!!
Uni wasn’t for me but some people thrive in that environment. Here’s my top tips for things I wish I had considered!
- research all the possible options that’s are available to you ; Uni, vocational courses, apprenticeships, jobs, volunteering and makes. List all the options you have found that appeal and create a pros and cons list.
- see if there is a way of getting into your chosen career without going to Uni. Working from the bottom of a company could be equally as rewarding.
- forget about what your friends are doing for a minute . You are going to have to live this. I was more worried about the fact that If I stayed I wouldn’t be able to make new friends while they were all out doing just that! How wrong was I?
- look at the financial side of things. Can you afford the path you want to choose?
- do what you want to not what is expected of you.
I am a firm believer in everything happens for a reason and I know not everyone will be so lucky with how things work out and I am extremely grateful that the worked out they way they did. I have a job i love, I am still friends with the people worth being friends with, and I have made some incredible new friends.
I am the best version of myself I have ever been. Confident, happy and loved!
Until Next Time
Laugh, Love and Shop