Happy New Years Eve you lovely bunch! 2016 has been one hell of a year – with a huge helping of the good and an even bigger helping of the bad.
The first 6 months of the year broke me – literally! It was the hardest 6 months I have faced in a long time. My self esteem hit rock bottom, my confidence was shot and my anxiety was at an all time high. I was alive but I wasn’t really living – coasting along trying to make it to the end of a day in one piece. If I look back at the year nothing particularly exciting or groundbreaking happened but there were a few things this year that I am really proud of achieving and a few things (mainly TV not gonna lie) that helped me get through the year that lets face it most of us would rather forget!
THINGS THAT SAVED MY 2K16
1. My new job – This was by far the best thing to happen this year! I love it! It is my DREAM job and something I never thought I would ever work in let alone so early on in my career. It gives me purpose and a reason to get up in the morning and I get a hell of a lot of interesting opportunities because of it! No two days are the same and I get to meet a huge range of interesting people and work with some of the loveliest people! I get to push myself creatively with both my writing and my photography as well as helping with social media. I have put myself into situations that a few months ago I wouldn’t have even contemplated let alone encouraged. I am relishing how in the last year my comfort zone has changed and this is my new normal.
2. Eyewitness – Do you ever find a TV show that you didn’t know you were missing but you needed in your life. Eyewitness is that show! It’s still not available on UK telly yet (grrrr)! Philip and Lukas witness a murder whilst in the midst of a romantic encounter and are torn between keeping their relationship a secret and doing what is right. The thriller hooks you in but the fully developed characters with interesting backstories is what keeps you there week after week. (someone give Gabe father of the year award please #justsaying). It has all its representation bases covered too – POC, Strong Women, LGBTQ, Foster System, Mental Illness and it even defies gender stereotypes. It is strange to think my happy escape from the world is to a small New York town with a who-saw-it mystery running through!
3. How to Get Away with Murder – This was a particular lifesaver in the first half of the year. I binge watched the hell out of this whenever life got to much- It was the only thing that would keep my brain occupied in the midst of a freak out! With so many flash forwards and flashbacks etc you cannot help but put all of your concentration into the show and forget your worries for a few hours. It makes you laugh, cry and scream all within a few short minutes and the cast are super interactive.
4. Working at Winchester Fashion Week as Photographer – This is an experience that happened in April and something I am super proud of. The people behind the fashion show approached me (yes, approached me :0) to take pictures at the fashion show and behind the scenes – they had seen me the last few shows roaming the Bapsy Hall with my trusty Canon 50D taking pictures for fun so they offered me the chance to see BTS. I absolutely loved this opportunity and the shots turned out great. It is always lovely to get great feedback from the models on instagram and via DM – it means you have done a job well done!
5. Chandler Divers – Remember the name, she is destined for big things. Literally this girl – Lifesaver! I know you are probably reading this and I know you love a good mention but honestly this year probably would have ended a lot differently if it wasn’t for you. Chimichangas catch up’s literally kept me going! She was their throughout all the crap this year brought only a text away always my shoulder to cry on – brightening my day with flowers and encouragement.
What things big or small have saved your 2016? Let me know in the comments below:
Happy New Year
Until Next Time,
Laugh, Love and Shop