Everyone loves something! Wether it be a book series, a TV series or a band. Said thing may impact on your life only a tiny bit, or it could impact everything in your life. I always seem to choose the latter.
Whilst some people choose to love something in isolation to people, others, myselfincluded, get involved within the fan culture and community that builds around the art. I’ve been part of ‘Fandom’s’ since I was a teenager and it has literally helped shape me into the person I am today.
My love for the ‘thing’ comes out stronger when I am struggling. The ‘thing’ helps calm my anxiety, ease the depression and keep my brain occupied – often making me smile and laugh or giving me something to look forward to.
The ‘thing’ for me has changed over the years – beginning with Glee. The show everyone seemed to love to hate but the show that brought a lot of sunshine, happiness and show tunes into my life when I needed it most. Over the years it has swapped and changed to Doctor Who, Torchwood, White Collar, Suits and most recently How to Get Away with Murder and Eyewitness. But the ‘thing’ at the moment has to be SHADOWHUNTERS.
I read the books, written by Cassandra Clare, when I was a tween and really enjoyed them, so I was super excited to see that they were bringing out a TV version (I wasn’t the biggest fan of the film adaptation). Literally no one I know in the UK watches this, many never persevered past the first few episodes which lets face it weren’t great. But with each episode the acting and storyline gets better. I am beyond happy that this show has been granted a Season 3 as slowly but surely this show has taken over my mind, life and soul and I am 100% better for it.
Shadowhunters follows Clary who is introduced into the dark world of demon hunting and become a Shadowhunter. Shadowhunters are humans born with angelic blood who protect the human world from the demon one. The show makes me laugh, cry and smile on a daily basis and even though it is a supernatural show it is incredibly diverse and good representation with characters from different races, classes, genders and sexualities are all present and correct.
10 Reasons Why I Fell in Love with Shadowhunters
- A Diverse and lovable Cast – above all else the cast is the main reason I love this show. Each of them brings something different to the ensemble. They are so interactive online with each other and with viewers. As this was most of their first real big breaks its been a joy to watch their acting progress. The lifestreams they do on Takeover Tuesdays are some of the best things for me to watch when I am having a bad day. They are all my faves but if i had to choose my fave faves it would be Matthew Daddario, Isaiah Mustafa, Harry Shum Jr, Katherine McNamara and Dominic Sherwood.
- It introduced me to the music of Ruelle – It is literally everywhere in this show including the opening credits! Ruelle has become one of my all time favourite artists now because of discovering the music through the show
- It covers important topics like – Sexuality, Self-harm, Suicide, Race and Class divides, abuse, friendship and compassion, living for yourself and not for other people and things like self doubt.
- Alec Lightwood – The king of character development going from the emotionally stunted, sarcastic, lovable archer boy who put the needs of his family and his job before his own everyone happiness to an emotionally available leader who started living life for himself. Matthew Daddario does a phenomenal job of bringing the character to life on the screen and is the best Alec lightwood we could have asked for and more. Everyone has that one or a couple of characters that they look at and see yourself staring back and that is what its like with Alec – feeling like your never good enough, ‘heavy is the head that wears the crown’ and living for your own happiness instead of that of others.
- Alec/Magnus (Malec) – Everyone’s favourite award-winning interracial relationship between the openly proud bisexual warlock and the recently out gay Shadowhunter beautifully brought to the screen by Matthew Daddario and Harry Shum Jr. Their storylines alone deal with their pasts, mortality and immortality and the class issues that divide them.
- Strong Female Leads – Izzy and Clary absolutely kick ass and can definitely take care of themselves. As individuals they have killer moves, confidence, epic wardrobe and independence to boot. They immediately take a liking to each other with Izzy becoming a support system for clary. Female Empowerment for the win!
- Friendships – It is impossible not to love the friendships in this show – wether it be the parabatai bond between Jace and Alec, the love/hate friendship between Jace and Simon, best friends Clary and Simon, Luke/Clary, Luke/Simon, Magnus/Raphael/Simon – I mean the list is literally endless.
- It expands on the books – Don’t get me wrong sometimes I love adaptations that stick directly to the books but I love that Shadowhunter is using the books as its backbone and building on that. There is a lot more digging into characters and somethings have been changed for the better. A lot of the things I took issue with in the books have been ‘fixed’ here.
- Sibling Goals – The brother and sister relationships between Izzy and Alec is one of my favourite things to see on screen. Add younger brother max into the mix ad watch the pairs face light up with joy. Finally add a healthy dose of adoptive brother Jace and you have the definition of sibling goals. These four would go to the ends of the earth to protect one another and see each other happy. Whilst they are polar opposites “They’re a brother and sister who disagree on everything except how much they love each other!”
- Shadowhunter Runes – These fascinate me! They are also pretty hard to ignore as they are all over the shadowunters bodies. Wether it be the parabati rune which keeps Jace and Alec connected, the angelic rune, or the deflect rune that has pride of place on Alec’s neck.
So now you know my inner most thoughts on the TV show that has literally saved my life. I normally keep this between myself, my fandom friends and my best friend because I have found in the past that liking something a LOT is seen as nerdy, geeky and I know a lot of people have judged me in the past for making TV such an important part of my life. But, before you judge maybe take a look at the reasons, if focusing on, talking about or watching something brings me joy and helps make the days a little easier, makes it easier to make it out of bed on the tough days – there shouldn’t be anything wrong with that.
What is your ‘thing’ that you love? What takes you to a happy place? Let me know in the comments below – I would love to hear
Until Next Time