I have loved theatre since I was a little kid and has always been something I spend a lot of my time and money investing in. In 2016 I started working for a theatre and the breadth and amount of theatre I have been fortunate to watch has increase tenfold. I saw 15 shows last year alone and I thought I would run down my top 5 shows that I saw in 2017.
2017 was a spectacular year for British Theatre and there wasn’t one thing I watched that I didn’t like, which made this a pretty hard list to come up with but here goes:
- The Band – A musical centred around the musical of Take That whats not to love! The Band Musical is such a feel good show, you just can’t help sing and dance along. Five to Five did a brilliant job of playing ‘The Band” and the young girls and the women did a fantastic job of taking us through the journey of fandom and friendship in a musical that will make you laugh and cry. I was fortunate enough to be working on the night that Take That came to perform at the end of the show! The atmosphere was electric and like something I have never experienced. It was definitely a night I will NEVER FORGET!
- Sunset Boulevard – I have always heard rave reviews about Sunset Boulevard but had never managed to get around to watching it! But this year I was lucky enough to visit Birmingham Hippodrome to see Danny Mac and Ria Jones in the leading roles! This Andrew Lloyd Webber classic didn’t disappoint – Ria absolutely stole the show with ‘With One Look’ and ‘As If We Never Said Goodbye’ as two of my personal favourites. The story had me gripped from start to finish.
- The Addams Family – As soon as I knew The Addams Family Musical was going on a UK Tour I knew I had to be there! As a child I used to love anything Addams and this musical brought out my inner child once again. With incredible catchy songs, the star studded cast (Cameron Blakely, Samantha Womack, Les Dennis and Carrie Hope Fletcher) have you enthralled from the very beginning and the set, costumes and makeup bring the whole thing together in a one incredibly spooky and kooky package.
- Billy Elliot – Another first time watch for me last year was Billy Elliot! The story has an incredibly important message of acceptance and being who you really are at it’s core and it really tugged at my heart strings. The songs are catchy and fit the story perfectly and the dancing! Boy the dancing! The children that played the Billy’s whilst on tour where so phenomenally talented and really held their own up on stage.
- Funny Girl – Ever since this version of Funny Girl Debuted at the Mernier Chocolate Factory I knew I wanted to see it! Thankfully, it was announced that it was going to tour and my place of work was going to get Sheridan Smith and Darius Campbell in the leading roles! I have always loved the Funny Girl soundtrack, it was one of the first things I ever heard when I was getting into musical theatre as a teen and this production absolutely blew me away. The entire cast was fantastic with not one weak link. Darius did an amazing job as Nick Arnstein and Sheridan Smith WOW! She was phenomenal, such a great talent and this show was so deserving of the sold out audiences and standing ovations it received.
Have you seen a lot of theatre this year? What has been your favourite show? What are you most looking forward to in 2018? Let me know all your thoughts in the comments below
Until Next Time,
Laugh, Love and Shop