If you asked 15 year old me if I would ever have tattoo’s I would have told you that even though I thought they looked super cool I’d never get the balls to get one myself yet here we are.
I now have 4 tattoos and 2018 was the year where I got the first one. I’m going to start this by saying that obviously I am not an expert and my tattoos are only small so if you are after larger pieces this may not be the post for you.
There are plenty of stages in the process and I am going to give you my top tips:
Before getting the tattoo (including booking) :
- Know what style you want – this is key. You may have a tattoo studio down the road from you but do they do detailed line work or bright and bold tattoos. You need to know what you want yours to look like and find someone who specialises in that type of art.
- Look on Instagram – Instagram is great for a variety of different things and finding your tattoo artist is one of them. That is how I found mine! The lovely Jonny at Family Business in London was doing the exact types of tattoos I was after and yes it meant I had to travel but this is something on your FOR LIFE, so it is definitely worth going to the best place for you.
- Give the artist as much information as possible – the size you want, the font, the wording and even pictures for reference will help the artist get an idea of exactly what it is you would like.
- Consider the placement – there are so many places you can get the tattoo done so make sure you find the one that works for you
- Ask for a quote – knowing how much the total cost will be will help you budget effectively.
- Don’t drink – don’t be an idiot. Not only will this effect your blood and change the way your tattoo would get done most places will not let you anywhere near the chair if you’ve had even a sip of alcohol.
- Eat a decent meal and lots of water before hand – your body is going to be under pressure so you need to make sure you are prepared for it!
Day of your appointment/ At the shop for your sitting:
- Make sure you have ID – if you look too young they may asked to see your ID
- Take sweets or a sugary snack and a drink – I haven’t needed this but have always taken them with me just in case. For longer sittings this will definitely be helpful.
- Don’t be late – give yourself plenty of time so you are not running to your appointment.
- Go in with a positive mental attitude – yes it’s gonna hurt, yes it’s going to bleed, yes your going to be there a while but it will all be worth it in the end. If you step into the shop thinking yes I can do this you most likely will.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions – this is your body and any questions you have just ask them. The artists are super friendly and willing to answer anything and even will ease the nerves for you.
And for the love of god – STAY STILL!
After getting your tattoo:
- Listen to the aftercare instructions – you’ve done it! Your tattoo is finished now keep it the way the artist intended by following the instructions. Remove the wrapping when recommended, wash and moisturise the recommended amount of time.
- Do not swim or take a bath – I’m a big a fan of a bath as much as the next person but whilst your tattoo is healing steer clear.
- Do not get sunburnt
Those are a few of my tips and a lot of them are common sense. For anyone asking what my tattoo after care is for all my tattoos I wash them 3 times a day and apply coconut oil afterwards.
Have you had a tattoo? For any tips for first timers? Let me know in the comments below